||SYLLABUS POLICY Summary Statement
Approved: January 18, 2006. Office of the Provost
All Institute courses are required to have an up-to-date course syllabus that is given to students at the beginning of the semester. The syllabus should communicate to student
2. The information included in the syllabus will vary considerably to reflect
- what the course will cover;
- what is expected of students; and
- how student learning will be evaluated.
departmental requirements, types of course, and personal teaching styles. While it is recommended that syllabi include the components specified in the Course Syllabus Guidelines, faculty members are encouraged to personalize their syllabi in accordance with departmental guidelines.
3. Updated course syllabi, in digital and/or print format, should be filed with the department office prior to the end of the first week of classes.
ASSISTANCE FOR FACULTY IN COURSE SYLLABUS DEVELOPMENT
A recommended "Syllabus Template" is available for your customization at the Provost's website. Please follow the guidelines in the “Course Syllabus Policy and Guidelines” document and refer to the “Frequently Asked Questions about Course Syllabus Policy and Guidelines” document for further clarifications. Check with your department chairperson about departmental policies and regulations prior to distributing your syllabus to students.
From the website of the Office of the Provost: Course Syllabus
Download Course Syllabus
Policy and Guidelines (PDF)
Download Course Syllabus Guidelines FAQs (DOC)
Download Course Syllabus Template (DOC)
How to access, Fill out and save the Course Syllabus
1. Click on "Course Syllabus Template."
It will open up a 3-page WORD document (it is not a not template, per se).
2. Save it on your computer. Change the file-name, if you wish.
3. Close the web document to minimize confusing one document with the other.
4. Open the re-named "Course Syllabus Template" that you saved on your computer.
5. Follow the instructions on page 1 and fill out in the blank spaces, which will expand to accomodate the text you type in. You may re-format the text you type in, althought the standard label fields that pre-exist on the Syllabus template are not modifiable.
6. Deleting the introductory "Instructions" page
In order to delete, you must "unprotect" the WORD document, as follows:
• go to the tool-bar (horizontal bar at the very top of the WORD document)
• click on "Tools," sixth item - you will see a drop-down menu
• click on "Unprotect Document..."
QUESTIONS ABOUT FORMATTING?
Contact Jeannie Dy So at extension 3744